Friday, April 6, 2012

I’m okay, you’re okay—in small doses


I'm back after a long hiatus... Always been wondering what do I write about... never sure of it until someone called me an introvert... and that lead me to think.. what makes me appear to be an "INTROVERT'? is it because I dont talk much? is it because I appear not to like people? is it because I am weird? Is it because I appear to be aloof? I thought of clearing the air, and that lead to this post :)

I dont talk much is a complaint I have grown sick and tired of hearing. Its not that I dont talk much.. I don't like to speak unless I actually have something to say, I may venture as far as even saying I hate small talk.. most of the times.. but speak about something that truly interests me... and you definitely will have a tough time shutting me up!!

I have been called moody or aloof too many times now... That is because I like to primarily look inwards and pay attention to my thoughts and emotions, It is not like I do not pay attention to what is going on around me, but I do not find it as stimulating and rewarding. I am perfectly comfortable with my own thoughts, I love thinking, I love to daydream.. I love to have problems to solve, to work upon... but it really gets lonely when I do not have someone to share my discoveries with, someone who will share the enthusiasm that I have for the subject. I crave an authentic and sincere connection and intensely value the few friends I have , and they can be assured of finding in me a loyal ally for life! To me, the quality of time spent with someone matters more than the quality.

To quote a friend : " I'm the kind of person that would drive a 100 miles just to say to someone that I miss them"

Leave an extrovert alone for two minutes and he will reach for his cellphone. In contrast, aftaer an hour or two of being socially "on," I need to turn off and recharge. This isn't antisocial. It isn't a sign of depression. It does not call for medication. For me, being alone with my thoughts is as restorative as sleeping, as nourishing as eating.

Because introverts are typically good listeners and, at least have the appearance of calmness, I know I do seem attractive to emotionally needy people. Being gratified that other people are initiating with me, I have more often than not, got caught in many a exhausting and unsatisfying relationships.

Hang me for being a bit eccentric then!

1 comment:

  1. if this is the kinda stuff ul write after ur long hiatus..then 'hiatus' is good! :-)

    ReplyDelete